[ltp] Plese turn off James Ryan's auto responder!

Bjørn Mork linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:54:22 +0200

honey@gneek.com writes:

> Could the mailing list moderator please remove James from the list?
> As a moderator of other lists myself, I have no patience with braindead
> autorepliers that mail back to the list rather than the list manager -
> sensible ones will always do the latter, and sensible people will set
> up their own in procmail with appropriate catches so that they don't
> respond to lists at all.  See the Errors-To: field in mails to this
> list for instance.

Sure.  But the problem is probably caused by a combination of James
Ryan's faulty auto-responder and this header unwisely added by the
mailing list software:

Please see http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html

Without it, only posters would see the result of buggy auto-
responders, vastly reducing the problem.

> Imagine if there were two braindead autorepliers on the list at this
> time: list meltdown and all our mailboxes full.  Please don't
> tolerate this kind of awful software.

Just be glad that his autoreplier doesn't seem to reply to it's own
messages.  There have been examples of those on other mailing lists.
Better fix the reply-to before someone like that shows up here...

Bjørn