[ltp] SXGA+ versus XGA resolution, any suggestions?

Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:48:31 -0700

> > smaller than this creates eye strain after a while and anything larger
> > means that all 4 terms won't fit nicely on the screen.  I have also
> > noticed before that larger fonts sizes of -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal tend
> > to look pretty choppy, whereas other fonts tend to be much less condensed
> > and pretty ugly to use in xterms.
>
> Are you fixated on that font?  I have pretty bad eyes so I use
> -*-lucidatypewriter-medium-*-*-*-25-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-* on the desktop (39
> lines fit onscreen).  The laptop has a sharper screen (and I sit closer to
> it) so I can get away with smaller type there.  Can't check to see what it
> uses right now...

Wow I just tried your font at 1024x768!  The letters were huge!  But -
they weren't blocky.  But that font is definitely much less condensed
than misc.  -*-lucidatypewriter-medium-*-*-*-11-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-* is
about the same as
-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed-*-*-120-*-*-c-*-iso8859-15 but a
corresponding xterm with the lucidatypewriter font is about 10% wider
because.

I've spent a lot of time trying out many different fonts for xterms, and I've found that good old misc is better than all others, usually by a long shot.  The vast majority of fonts just look terrible in terminals because they are not condensed.
I just read what the other guy posted about hinting, scaling, etc. but I
don't think this applies to terminal fonts.  Because I work as a
sysadmin, probably 80% of my time sitting at a computer is spent working
in xterms (actually I use rxvt-unicode).