[ltp] "Missing operating system" when booting restore partition

Thu, 18 Aug 2005 03:50:58 -0400

Quoting prosolutions@gmx.net:

> Okay, I've read up on this and found out about the Predesktop
> Environment, which, yes, wrote over when resizing and moving partitions
> around.  My one question is this: I still have the recovery partition.
> If I can manage to boot into this partition and start the disk restore,
> will it restore the entire hard disk including the Predesktop
> Environment, or will it only restore the main Windows XP partition?

Hello,

I can't speak for the G41, but on my R51 the restore program gives me
the option
of restoring the entire hard disk OR only the first partition. Those are the
only two choices, unfortunately. You can't pick a specific partition to
restore
to.

In my experience, Rescue & Restore refused to work properly when I had GRUB
written to the MBR. If NTLDR (the Windows bootloader) is on the MBR, Rescue &
Restore works fine. I'm assuming that you probably have GRUB as your
bootloader, and it's on the MBR. If you can put NTLDR back on the MBR, I'm
guessing your Rescue & Restore will work fine. Unfortunately, that
leads to the
question of: how do I boot Linux?

The way I did this was to use NTLDR to boot linux. If you Google for something
like "NTLDR linux dual boot" you can find good directions. Having a Knoppix or
Ubuntu LiveCD makes the process easier.

Hope this helps...

Joe