[ltp] Problem with ACPI Standby on G41

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 23:27:06 -0700

So wrote Jiang Qian on Tuesday, 30 August 2005:

> I quote:
>  You may experience problems when using # echo standby >
> /sys/power/state (machine goes to sleep and wakes up immediately). This
> can be avoided by using # echo -n 3 >/proc/acpi/sleep to get it to
> sleep. This can be also happen if hotplug daemon is still running.
>
> ---http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_make_ACPI_work
> worth a try: stop hotplug and then do echo -n 3 > /proc/acpi
> Jiang
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 04:56:47PM -0700, prosolutions@gmx.net wrote:
> > >
> > > I'll be interested in your experiments, because I have a G41, and there
> > > don't seem to be many out there.

Okay here is a result of my experiments so far:

In order to do   echo -n 3 >/proc/acpi/sleep  I had to re-compile the
kernel and enable /proc/acpi/sleep

Also, I found a thread referencing this document:
http://www.john-hunt.com/linux/2005/08/24/suspend-s3-on-ibm-thinkpad-r50e/
which says that all framebuffer support must be disable so I also did
that (although I should note that in the past on other models I have always used VESA framebuffer and never had a problem with suspend).  I also tried his script, changing the line cat /proc/bus/pci/00/02.0 > /tmp/  to cat /proc/bus/pci/01/00.0 > /tmp/  since lspci shows the nVidia VGA controller at 0000:01:00.0

Using either that script or else just doing echo -n 3 >/proc/acpi/sleep
here is what happens:

The computer goes into sleep.  Immediately after running the command I
see the text console and a message that it is stopping all tasks and
what looks like a text-based progress meter.  Then it takes a few
seconds and then the little Moon light lights up.  The unit is sleeping.
But when I press the Fn key to wake it up, it appears to start waking
up.  The Moon light goes out and the disk light lights up.  But the
screen stays blank and nothing more happens.  The machine is totally
unresponsive and I must hold the power button down a few seconds to
power it off and restart.

So at least it is doing something, but it is failing to wake up
properly.
framebuffer and bee