[ltp] Slightly OT: where are the 10GHz P6 thinkpads?

Tue, 06 Dec 2005 01:36:24 +0000

Dear All,

An interesting thought struck me today. For the last 8 years, I have
upgraded every 2 years, in order to (roughly) double the performance of
the computer. 2 years has now elapsed since my last upgrade, and it is
time for another one. Yet there isn't any compelling new product to buy!
I wonder why that is, and if anyone can explain it?

There's no obvious answer to this, either from intel,google or
wikipedia. Also, the quantum limit should allow a 10nm process. So, why
has Intel, in particular, stagnated?

A datapoint: 2 years ago, the top desktop CPU was a 3.0GHz/800MHz P4.
Now, the best available (at a sane price) is 3.6GHz. Similar things have
occurred for laptops [admittedly, there have been gains in efficiency
with the P4m, so the numbers are less meaningful] - and although my
4-year-old A22p (P3, 1GHz) could certainly use an upgrade, I wouldn't
call it obsolete. It should be, though!

Is it just economic (Intel having failed to market desktop Itania), or
is there any real physics behind it?

I hope this is an interesting enough subject to merit being a bit O.T.

Richard