[ltp] Noise and Power Consumption of T20 and T23

Ted Frater linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 07 Dec 2005 08:46:33 +0000

Hannes Kuhnert wrote:

>Ted Frater schrieb:
>

>>Go for the T23 because
>>It has the faster processor,
>> will take 1gig of ram, the T20 will only take 512megs
>>

>I don't care much about it. 256MB have to suffice.
>

>> the T23 can be found with a 1400 by 1050 res screen on a 14in diagonal,
>>if your lucky.
>>

>I know that it exists, but I haven't seen an offer yet. SXGA isn't bad if one
>has suitable fonts for GUI.
>

>>IF you can find an A20P or an A21P these are larger  ie desktop
>>replacement  laptops, there the best that IBM made at that
>>time.
>>

>They are probably to big and the X-series are to small, that means it has to
>be a T-model.
>

>>Theres much more to a thinkpad than the processor.
>>

>Of course, I would never consider the CPU the primary criterion on choosing a
>Computer. Right now I'm using KDE on Debian Sarge on my Desktop with a
>Pentium II with exactly 233.869MHz. It's a bit slow, but it works.
>

>> Screen quality is just as important.
>>

>Are there any noticable differences between older ThinkPads in screen quality?

Screen quality?
 trhis can vary what ever the model thinkpad.
 Generally tho, any thinkpad brfore the A, T and X range have duller
back lights.
and slower video chips.
IF you can get to see the one you wish to buy then you can judge if its
good enough.
 If its had 3 years of hard use in a corporate enviromen tthen it will
be tired.
 the A range however were supplied to the higher officers of big
corporate organisations,
they had to have better ones than the average office worker, therefore
they didnt get as much use
and these people generally had secretaries to do their paperwork for them.
So from the wear /screen life expectancy, there a better bet.
just my personal experience.
 As for memory, get as much as you can,. Im running Suse 10 with 512 meg.
2/3rds of this is used up in operation. No swap file on the hard drive
is in operation.
 Hope this helps.
 ted.