[ltp] Re: ACPI suspend problem on T23

Michael Perry linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 01:05:35 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 12:20:43 -0800 (PST), khosrow hassani wrote:
> ello all,
> I am running Debian Sarge on my IBM ThinkPad t23 and I
> just upgraded to kernel 2.6.8. I compiled the kernel
> from the source with Debian distribution patches.
> to make the ThinkPad special keys work, I downloaded
> version 0.8 of ibm_acpi module source from
> http://ibm-acpi.sf.net/. making and installing the
> module went smoothly. then I wrote appropriate scripts
> in /proc/acpi/events and /proc/acpi/actions to send
> command 3 to /proc/acpi/sleep when pressing Fn-F4 key
> combination. my laptop goes to sleep when I do so, but
> the problem is that after resuming (I have to press
> poweron key ), my external mouse and network stop
> working!! I don't think this is a problem of ibm_acpi,
> because I also tried the hibernation package from
> Debian with sysfs_power_state method and got exactly
> the same problem. I think ACPI is not just capable
> enough to communicate with my BIOS properly. I have
> the latest BIOS version from IBM site installed.
> does anybody have any idea why this is not working?
>
>  thanks,
>  Khosrow
>

>=====
> growing OLD is mandatory, growing UP is optional !

Firstly, have you tried a later kernel version than 2.6.8?  I am using
2.6.10 on my thinkpad t23 and pcmcia networking and a usb mouse all come
back reliably.  I have the kernel-ized version of ibm-acpi and am running
a 2.6.10 kernel on debian unstable here.

If you look at some of the list archives on this subject, many people
have gotten their T23's working pretty well with acpi.  I have also
written a few extra scripts which will do suspend the laptop with lid
close events.  I can also do a Fn-F4 to suspend and I can wake up my t23
with the same key combination.

Finally, what is the bios revision you are running and have you updated
both that and the power management firmware of late?  That helps out
quite a bit.

--
Michael Perry | do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org