[ltp] T42 battery discharging time

Uwe Walter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:42:25 +0100

On Do, 2005-02-24 at 01:29 +0100, Eric Van Buggenhaut wrote:
> No, there are 2 different drivers:

> -rw-r--r--  1 root root 49088 /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ati_drv.o
> -rw-r--r--  1 root root 150432 /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.o

No. Read what Alex wrote on 10th Feb in "xorg's radeon driver":

""ati" isn't really a driver.  both Xorg and xfree86
have it.  It's just a wrapper for the r128, radeon, and ati_misc
drivers.  All it does it load the appropriate driver.  you can
actually replace "ati" with "radeon" and it will still work. The same
goes for xorg."

> I also use cpudyn to save(!) power. The fact is when X isn't started,
> cpudyn successfully switch CPU freq between 6OO and 17OO MHz.
> When I launch an X session, CPU freq jumps tp 1700MHz and won't slow
> down whatever I do, even if there's no window open on the display.

What does top/uptime show? Are there processes consuming CPU power and
causing high load? If so, find and fix them.

Otherwise fix your cpudyn setup.

Or throw it away completely. powernowd is not as flexible, but a lot
more easier to use. Very simple: No load -> low speed and the other way
round.

Or, if you have a relatively new 2.6.x kernel, you can also try the
internal ondemand scheduler (if it is compiled and available) and forget
about a userspace deamon:

echo ondemand >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

Check the files around there to see if it is working.
A directory /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/ should become
visible and /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq should
show a low frequency without load (even in X).

Greetings, UW(e)