[ltp] Xandros

SOTL linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 2 Jan 2005 17:41:15 -0500

On Sunday 02 January 2005 09:52 am, Joachim Schrod wrote:

> FWIW, my experience with SUSE on Thinkpads is good. I use it on my
> Butterfly (CS701), on my T21, and on my T51. It was also installed on
> diverse 560X that we owned.
>
> S> I also recall that SuSE will not identify a Thinkpad monitor
>
> I use SUSE distributions since years on my Thinkpads. If I took the
> current distribution, it recognized my Thinkpad monitor all the time.
>
> S> nor my WiFi network
>
> SUSE 9.2 detects and configures ipw2100 on my T41.
>
> S> and that when I attempted to configure DSL without having the
> S> Thinkpad connected to DSL I was ask for a username and password.
>
> I don't know about your part of the world, but here you have two
> different DSL connection architectures: Either you use a router, and
> then you don't have to configure DSL at all; it's simply Ethernet. Or
> you connect directly; then PPPoE is used, and ISPs demand username and
> password as authentication.
>
> =09Joachim

Point of the DSL issue was I was in the office where we have WiFi which S=
uSE=20
failed to recognize and Mandrake did. SuSE also failed to recognize the=20
monitor type and Mandrake did. Now in of itself that would be no biggie b=
ut=20
you really need to recall that SuSE is now part of Novel and that SuSE, N=
ovel=20
and IBM are software partners. So here we have a software partner of IBM=20
software that fails to recognize IBM hardware. Personally I would give th=
em=20
an A for tensity and an F for performance.

Frank