[ltp] Question on swsusp2 and other ACPI trivia

obi linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 16:57:00 +0100

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 04:25:15PM +0100, Bob Alexander wrote:
> To solve my 2.6.9-2.6.10-ACPI-APM deadlock I have now found the
> following sensible solution:
>
> Patched a 2.6.10 with the external swsusp2 and enabled ACPI including
> the builtin ibm_acpi.
>
> After setting up a few things I am delighted to be able to suspend to
> HDD (let's call it hibernate ?) on my /dev/hda6 swap partition very
> reliably.
>
> Have a few questions though:
>
> 1) If I hibernate while pinging a site, upon resuming the ping does not
> progress. If I interrupt it and relaunch all is fine. Normal ?
>
> 2) I have tied the lib button and the Fn-F4 to the "hibernate" command
> script. Now I would like to do something cleaner and associate the
> Fn+F12 button to my hibernate script but I cannot understand how.
>
> A tail -f /var/log/acpid shows events triggered for lid or FnF4 but NOT
> for FnF12 ... what am I missing ???

Have you
	echo enable > /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey
	echo ffff > /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey
to enable the extra buttons? On my T41 I got quite a few Fn+F? with this.

> Last question: as I have compiled CPU throttling in my kernel, could I
> bring the CPU to 600MHz when on battery (and maybe go on low LCD
> luminosity) and back to 1600MHz when on AC (and full LCD brightness) ...
> any examples ?

Sure you can: I do use powernwd that adapts the speed to what I need at
the moment. But you if you look into /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq
there are few files and you can echo values into some of them (I think
scaling_max_freq and scaling_min_freq for example). That should change
the speed of the CPU.

graziano