[ltp] KDE3.3 and running fan

Roland Bitterli linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 09 Jan 2005 10:08:22 +0100

Hi Moritz

> Indeed, the CPU temperature seems to be a problem. It's permanently about
> 42°C. I tried to enable all powersaving features, that is CPU throttling to
> 87%, power profile 'powersafe' (CPU goes from 1500MHz down to 500MHz). If I
> do so, the temperature drops to 36°C, fan still running.

my fan goes quiet at cpu 43C and hdd 30C. It switches on when the hdd is
around 32C. But as I'm running a p2p client this is fairly normal.

> Before I upgraded, the temperature was 34°C in the average, with fan not
> running... One thing: I did an apt-get dist-upgrade to install approx 100
> packages, most of them connected to KDE3.3. Possible, that some other package
> causes the fan problem...

well you could run without any X and you will see if it is KDE or not...

> I assume, 'ondemand governor' is the same as powernowd? Since apt-cache show
> powernowd says:
> "  This daemon is less complicated than cpufreqd or cpudyn, at the cost of
>  absolutely depending on a 2.6 kernel with the userspace governor and sysfs
>  support enabled. "

not quite. ondemand is a governor in the kernel that handles the
throtling automaticaly without any deamons. But the effect should be the
same, or so I guess.

> But I could use some script to obtain the HDD temperature!

I use hddtemp from http://www.guzu.net/linux/hddtemp.php

cheers
roland