[ltp] Re: Re: Re: help in troubleshooting ACPI drain with 2.6.10 please

Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:04:02 +0100

--=-Uac4HPiWnHhV3CqXceCY

Hi,

> If like me you have an hearing like a bat :) there is a funny thing you=20
> can do: playing music with glxgears !!

;-)

Similar problems accured with former ThinkPads as well and were fixed by
IBM through BIOS updates. I remember that my T23 had this problem until
a BIOS update removed it. There it was also related to the GPU and
occured especially (if not only) when some kind of DirectDraw routines
were used. It occured in Windows as well as Linux. In those times the
noise was even "routed" through the audio device, so that it got louder
when you rose the volume.

However, nowadays i can sometimes realize high pitch audio feedback even
to moving X windows on my T41p. I didn't pay attention to it in Windows,
yet. And it is not volume-settings-dependant.
I hope IBM is able to fix this through BIOS update some day, as well.

> PS Wonder if this pitch we hear is a proof that the radeon chip is still=20
> horribly working even during ACPI sleep.

Neither the T41p nor T42p have the power drain problem. But they have
the noise. But i agree that it might be related to the graphics
circuitry as well.

Andr=E9.

--=-Uac4HPiWnHhV3CqXceCY

--=-Uac4HPiWnHhV3CqXceCY--