[ltp] KDE3.3 and running fan

Moritz Karbach linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:34:30 +0100

Hi all,

here comes a status report:

Apparently I got somehow messed with the XFree-logfiles (although I've got  no
idea how this could happen...). As I checked the XFree86.0.log again, the
line

> (II) RADEON(0): Dynamic Power Management Enabled

was indeed missing... So I checked
the /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ati_drv.o and radeon_drv.o files, and
recognized that they have been overwritten by some apt-get upgrade.

Then I got the sources of the current Xserver, applied the dynamicclocks-patch
and recompliled (wow, this is using up to 3Gb disc space..).

And now the fan goes quite again. But it seems to me, that the quite periods
are shorter than they were under KDE3.2, but ok.

Just another idea: What about 3d acceleration? How can I disable it to save
some power? Or, more basic, how do I check whether it's running?

But one thing I don't understand: Why is the fan running without any X?
Probably this means, that the 'default' driver doesn't use any power saving
features. Therefore, disabeling X is not a good test for fan problems...

Cheers,

- Moritz