[ltp] Please tell me my system board isn't hosed (EEPROM error)

Meike Reichle linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 00:34:18 +0100

André Wyrwa said/sagte:
> Hei,
>

>>I've seen the warning on the linux-thinkpad website about lm-sensors, but I
>>never touched that.  All I've done with the machine since I got it a week or
>>two ago is install win ME, slackware-current, bought and installed a new
>>battery, and I was working on getting linux working with my Linksys WPC54GS
>>cardbus wireless network card.  It was working fine, powered it down this
>>morning, powered it up a couple hours later and I get the error.  What the
>>hell happened?!?!?!?
>

> Don't know anything specific but i remember that around this time (i
> think it was with T2x series models) the EEPROM could lose it's mind, if
> you switched off the notebook at the wrong moment during the BIOS boot
> sequence.
>
> Maybe that's what happened?
>
> André.

I did that to an X20 I once owned. Disconnected the power cord while it
was booting (or shutting down, don't remember). I was "repairing" the
Power switch, so it was taken on and off power quite a lot. But one time
I caught the wrong moment. Result: eeprom broken.
I called up the ibm hotline and they gave me a url with a few things to
try. I didn't try them all, sold it instead ;) (mentioning the error of
course)
But, what I want to say: I am rather sure it really is the eeprom, but
that doesn't necessarily mean it's a goner. There's still some stuff you
can try like flashing the BIOS etc.

HTH
Meike