[ltp] Re: AW: Re: Re: T41 Atheros SuSE 9.3 Not working ?

Shannon McMackin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 06 Jul 2005 15:57:52 -0400

honey@gneek.com wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, vngarla@tiscali.de wrote:
>
>> I have a t40p with suse 9.3 and an atheros a/b wlan.
>> - Associating with an AP does not work reliably in a noisy environment.
>>
>> - DHCP does not work at all in a noisy environment.
>>
>> What helps is setting the Channel with iwconfig (I generally use
>> kinternet
>> to scan for aps, pick the one with the highest strength.  I assume you
>> set
>> the ESSID explicitly).
>

> I have to say madwifi works impeccably on my T40 with atheros a/b/g
> card - I never have problems associating etc.  It's range isn't as
> good as the old b-only Cisco card I don't think, but it's pretty
> flawless.  Fedora Core 3/4 here, although I wouldn't attribute the
> difference to the distro.  I wonder what else can be different?  Does
> it work much better in Windows, Vijay?  If not or you can't test, I'd
> suggest checking the aerial's ok inside if you haven't?
>
> To the original poster: when you saw "latest" madwifi, it's
> understood that with the madwifi project this always means from CVS,
> right?  The "latest" released tarball is usually ancient.
>
> Honey
Suse 9.3 finally includes the madwifi driver.  However, upon initial
installation, I found that YAST calls the interface something like
wlanid-ath0-(mac address).  If I catch it and just call it ath0, then
ifup ath0 works like a charm.  I left it at dhcp and it found my ap
without an issue.

I'm now on to FC4 which still requires CVS and compiling unless you use
one of the other repos...

Shannon