[ltp] Re: Need replacement "skin" for T23 2647-9LU

Wookey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 08:40:03 +0100

+++ David A. Desrosiers [05-07-11 18:23 -0400]:

> 	My ageing Thinkpad T23, like almost all of the others I've
> seen, has cracked its black casing by the lower left corner of the
> left Fn key and the upper-right corner of the PgUp key near the
> Ultrabay. These two locations have caused a lot of flexing in the case
> when picked up or held in one hand, its very "rubbery" now to hold and
> use.

<aol>

> 	Does anyone know where I can get a compatible case to swap out
> for my innards? I've looked around on ebay for parts machines for T23,
> but the only ones listed there have the 1024x768 screen, which will
> not fit my 1400x1050 screen + base.

You can get a new plastic bit fairly cheaply (I've seen them on ebay), but
the reason the plastic breaks (at least on mine) is that the aluminium case
around the ultrabay fractures near the rear right-hand hinge. To replace
this involves taking pretyy-much everything to bits as it is the structure
on which everything else is built. I haven't seen anyone selling these
seaparately - I think you just have to get another machine and swap
(assuming that one isn't broken of course).

Wookey