[ltp] ACPI S3 power drain and Thinkpad Wiki/radeonfb

Clark Williams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:54:54 -0500

--=-hp5NYmiaV8SZUUBCDMt2

On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 17:35 +0100, honey@gneek.com wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Clark Williams wrote:
>=20
> > On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 23:32 +0100, honey@gneek.com wrote:
> >> Hmm yes rhgb - I always thought it a bit much to start X twice.  Good
> >> point.  So I have 4 things to try!  My money's on vesafb grabbing it
> >> so radeonfb can't... but I'm guessing.  I could swear you could load
> >> radeonfb via a kernel line parameter, even though it's installed as a
> >> module in Fedora... Google time.
> >
> > Did you ever get this working? if you did, I missed it on the list.
> >
> > I'd love to get rid of my framebuffer startup script and just load
> > radeonfb from the grub command line.
>=20
> Hi Clark,
>=20
> Depends which problem you mean:
>=20
> 1. Setting console resolution for radeonfb from the kernel boot line:
> No.  Tried everything, I can only assume it's because it's a module
> in my kernel (built into initrd with --preload=3Dradeonfb).
>=20

Ok, that's what I was asking. Looks like the only way to do it without
an init script is to put it in the initrd. I'd just like to get to the
point of making a change in one spot (e.g. the grub.conf file) as
opposed to needed to rebuild the initrd or add a startup script.

> 2. Resetting console resolution after bootup: Yes, as Volker
> indicated this works with fbset - usually - once I tried this from X
> and lost all video output.  But somehow swsusp2/fbsplash
> doesn't pick up the change for me, and still thinks I'm using the
> native resolution 1400x1050.  Unsolved at the moment.
>=20

So, when you resume, graphics gets...whacky?=20

I've never set my resolution to anything but 1024x768, so I haven't seen
your problem. When are you setting the resolution?=20

> 3. ACPI S3 power drain: Yes, with the force_sleep parameter on the
> kernel boot line, I get a dramatic reduction in power usage in S3.
>=20

Yeah, that's the only thing I want (reduced power consumption).

> What do you put in your startup script? fbset..?

It's just the normal init script framework and the only place I do work
is in the start portion:

start() {
        modprobe radeonfb radeon_force_sleep=3D1
        RETVAL=3D$?
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/framebuffer
        return $RETVAL
}

I set it up as S01framebuffer, by putting the appropriate chkconfig
magic at the top and running 'chkconfig add framebuffer' after putting
the framebuffer script in /etc/rc.d/init.d.

Clark
--=20
Clark Williams <williams@redhat.com>

--=-hp5NYmiaV8SZUUBCDMt2