[ltp] dual boot, t22, Linux and XP

Christopher Sawtell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 26 Jun 2005 12:02:46 +1200

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 06:13, Eben King wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005, Jane Ellen Jarrell wrote:
> > I have both Mandrake Linux 10.1 and XP sp2 on my Thinkpad T22 type
> > 2747.  The XP side crashed.   Every time I try to boot, it shows the
> > blue screen.  Can I reinstall the XP without destroying the Linux?
>
> Sure, but it'll nuke the boot block.  Have a rescue disk ready.

Similarly the XP install may want to change your existing partition table,
so keep a printed record of the table. The linux command   fdisk -l   will do
that for you. If it asks, as it might well do, if you want it to change the
table, say no ( I said yes, and it took me several days to sort things out ).
You can keep a copy of the partition table and master boot record with the
command   dd if=/dev/hda of=/mbr.bin bs=512 count=1  ( or on a floppy with
of=/dev/fd0 )

If you have anything of importance in the Mandrake partition, it would be good
advice to back-up the whole shooting match on to another machine. I was
_very_ thankful that I did that when in a situation very similar to yours.

--
C. S.