Re[2]: [ltp] SUSE 9.2 on a Thinkpad X30

Jonathan Gennick linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:25:07 -0500

Morpheus, responses inline below.

Thanks to you, I've at least gotten the wireless to work. I still have
a couple things to figure out yet though.

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick
Editor, O'Reilly Media
906.387.1698   mailto:jgennick@oreilly.com

Monday, February 28, 2005, 8:02:21 PM, morpheus (morpheus@post.harvard.edu) wrote:

m> On Feb 28, 2005 6:43 PM, Jonathan Gennick wrote:

>> When I run iwconfig, I see both a wifi0 and a wlan0:

m> As Paul Kimoto recently posted on this list, the wifi0 alias is
m> used by programs like kismet to access raw data. You should be
m> accessing wlan0.

ok.

>> You can see here that I've been given an IP address. That's a good

>> sign, right?

m> Perhaps this is a good sign... Is your interface set up for DHCP or
m> did you assign that address statically?

My interface is set up for DHCP. I did not assign the address
statically

m> There are many possibilities for your problem. First, do you have
m> encryption on your AP and if so, have you set the key properly on
m> your wireless card? Does your router accept pings?

For now, I've disabled WEP on my WAP. I've also disabled MAC
filtering. My WAP is wide-open.

m> Next, there may be a conflicting IP address on your network...can
m> you try manually assigning an IP address that you know is free?

I checked the only other two PCs on the network. There is on address
conflict.

m> What steps did you take to bring up the wireless?

I configured it using Yast. After that, I just sort of assumed it
would work.

m> Try doing it
m> manually and see what happns:

m> # iwconfig wlan0 essid YourESSID

m> $ iwconfig wlan0 enc your_WEP_key_in_hex

m> # ifconfig wlan0 up

m> # dhclient wlan0

I get a "command not found" error in response to the dhclient command.

m> Check to see if dhclient gets an IP address from the DHCP server.
m> If not, try assigning one manually:

m> # ifconfig wlan0 192.168.0.xxx netmask 255.255.255.0 up

Ok. I went with 192.168.0.100, which I know to be unassigned.

m> # route add default gw 192.168.0.1 wlan0

done

m> Now try pinging stuff and let us know the results...

Ah! In response to "ping 208.201.239.36", I get results. This is very
good.

m> Sorry if you already tried this stuff, you didn't really say in
m> your post how you got it working in the first place...

I had tried some of what you suggested. Another friend had me use
route to add a default gateway. However, he didn't suggest adding
"wlan0" as the last parameter to the command (as you did), and I
didn't think to try it.

For now, I've used Yast to hardwire my ISP's nameserver addresses. I
wonder why these are not picked up automatically though, at the same
time that DHCP assigns my IP address.

I further wonder why I have no default gateway. I hope I don't have to
issue a route command each time I want to use wireless. I did define a
default gateway using Yast. Maybe that definition didn't take. Yet
it's there now when i look at it, so it must have gotten stored
somewhere.

m> -m

m> This mail was sent with TotalOffice--Secure, encrypted webmail with the look and feel of a desktop client.

m> http://www.totalinfosecurity.com