[ltp] IBM t23 supersavage, xvideo overlay

Harald Strack linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 27 May 2005 17:14:51 +0200

--------------050708050000050403010604

Alex Deucher wrote:

>On 5/27/05, Harald Strack <hstrack@trymedia.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>

>>I am running Linux Kernel 2.6.10, xorg cvs, drm cvs and mesa cvs on my
>>t23 with supersavage IX/C SDR card.
>>Xvideo works perfectly when I am running 1024x768. But all smaller
>>resolutions
>>(640x480, 800x600) are producing a video overlay which is only filled
>>with videodata in the upper right part. The rest is blue. What you see
>>is the actual movie, but it seems like the linebreaks (if this exists in
>>xvideo) are wrong.
>>Since the display  and the position of the video is wrong, the error may
>>be, that the Xvideo driver
>>does not recognize the smaller resolutions but uses for its calculation
>>further on 1024x768.
>>

>it sounds like an offset problem, or maybe a LCD scaler issue.  As I
>recall I had Xv working pretty well at all resolutions on my savage
>IX, but it's been a while since I tested.  I don't have a supersavage,
>so it may be supersavage related (although I think the overlays are
>pretty similar if not identical).  Do you have problems with all YUV
>formats or just some?
>I must re-iterate that the savage streams engine is a work of pure
>evil.  I REALLY dislike working on it.  If anyone else wants to try
>their hand at this, let me know and I can answer any questions you may
>have.
>
>Alex

For sure. I get my money with C and C++ programming, but I have no clue
about driver coding. But if you give me some advices where I could start
in your
sources I may find the rest of the necessary information by myself. I
have the sources,
a compiler some debuggers and I am patient.

May I start in xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/savage/savage_video.c?

Where reads xvideo the actual resolution from?
May I hardcode it first, to see if it helps?

Or does it work entirely different?

You see, I have no clue... but motivation.

Greetings

Harry

>>The XFree86 4.3.0 drivers had these problem for me also, but only on
>>tv-out. The actual driver has it
>>now on LCD and tv.
>>
>>I did not found a cheap workaround like starting X in 640x480 mode or
>>similar.
>>
>>Had anyone similar problems? Since the t23 seems to be very popular
>>laptop, but I could not
>>find any problem reports concerning my issues...
>>
>>Best Regards
>>
>>Harry

--------------050708050000050403010604

begin:vcard