[ltp] How to change the default charge threshold settings?

Ignacio Fernández Galván linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 27 May 2005 18:27:45 +0200

On Fri, 27 May 2005 18:17:32 +0200, hzx <hzx35@yahoo.com.cn> wrote:

> I've noticed that for some new thinkpad models (such
> as X40, T42 and some R50s), there is a new button
> called "improve battery  health" in the "IBM Thinkpad
> Configuration|Battery Information|Battery Health" on
> Windows. One can change the start and stop charging
> threshold in this utility. I thought it a very useful
> feature, through which I can keep my battery 50%
> charged when the AC adapter is connected, thus
> preventing my battery from wearing out. But this is
> just the case under Windows. If Windows is not run and
> the AC adapter is disconnected then re-connected, the
> charging will start again and won't stop until the
> battery is fully charged. I found that when the
> Windows is run, the file "BATINFEX.DLL" in the package
> "Battery MaxiMiser" will monitor the battery status
> and then determine whether to charge the battery or
> not according to the customized charge threshold
> settings. As for Linux, I don't know how to acquire
> the same effects. Anyone have the same problem?

I have an R51 and it has that feature under Windows, it even automatically
gives advice about the best thresholds to use (I don't know how
trustworthy this is). I boot up in Windows only once every 1 or 2 weeks,
last time I did, it changed the "start charging" threshold to 86%.
Previously, it was set at 96% and, as far as I could tell, this was
honoured under linux too, I don't know whether this new setting will have
any effect, though. And yes, I would like to have full support of this
feature under linux too...

Renovamos el Correo Yahoo!
Nuevos servicios, más seguridad
http://correo.yahoo.es