[ltp] Thinkpad 600e and powermanagement

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 03 Nov 2005 18:52:59 -0600

David wrote:

> I have an issue with my TP 600e and need some help. I have googled
> extensivly, that is how I found this list in fact. I am using SuSE
> 9.3. This has to do with power management. When the laptop is using AC
> and goes into standby mode the lcd goes black and will not return
> without intervention. I have to unplug the AC and use Fn-F12 to put in
> hibernation or I can use Fn-F4 for the suspend mode and bring it back
> and the lcd comes back up with the rest of the system. If I go to the
> Kpowersave icon in the tray an use it to put it in suspend2ram mode
> things work fine on AC or DC. Goes down and comes back including the
> monitor with out any problem at all. Using DC everything works as
> expected also. I have found several instances of this using google but
> have not found a solution that works for me. It seems when I use the
> Fn-F3 or Fn-F4 the computer goes into a standby mode instead of a
> suspend2ram. I would like it to never go down while running on AC as I
> often leave things compiling and many times that takes over an hour. I
> have a dos partition for the hfile and also to hold my PS2.EXE stuff.
> I have set everything up with PS2 and while in the dos mode there is
> no problem. The pad will suspend. The monitor will still stay black on
> resume. Only when I have booted linux does the monitor shutdown during
> a suspend. I have tried with DPMS on and off and that does not seem to
> have an effect either way. Which should be the correct way. on or off?
> I have used acpi_sleep=s3_bios to try and fix this.
>
> Why would my pad go into standby mode and not suspend to ram when
> using the Fn keys while on AC under linux?
> How can I keep the monitor from shutting down and not coming back?
> Does anyone know if the command that Kpowersave uses to suspend2ram?
> Could I map the Fn combination to that command?
>
> There may be something I am not doing to set things up with PS2 properly.
> I hope I have made some sense here. I sometimes have trouble
> explaining what my problem is.
>
> Thank's
> David

Hi David,

You have explained the problems you are seeing but not your
configuration.  Are you trying to use ACPI for power management?  I have
a 600E set to use APM and I don't have any of your problems.  Suspend
works, but it is APM's suspend, not Linux  ACPI suspend2ram.  Fn-F4
works fine, as does hibernation with Fn-F12.  Frankly I don't see any
reason to try to get ACPI working on the 600E since I am using a 2.4.x
kernel.  APM does everything I want.

If your goal is to use your 600E with ACPI then I can't be of any help,
but I can give details on a 600E set up to use APM.

wes