[ltp] Problems with Display

Thu, 13 Oct 2005 15:47:45 -0400

On 10/13/05, Christopher Sawtell <csawtell@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> On Friday 14 October 2005 03:29, Sebastian Anding wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > when I boot my Thinkpad 600 from a cd, e.g. gentoo-2005.1 then the whol=
> >  monitor is used. But using my self compiled gentoo-2.6.13-r3 kernel,
> > the console is only a small window of the LCD. Is there any kernel
> > command line option or an kernel configuration option I might have
> > forgotten?
> Definatively, yes.
> 1) Use a grub.conf line such as this:-
>    kernel /vmlinuz ro root=3D/dev/hda3 video=3Dradeonfb:ywrap,mtrr,
> 1024x768-24@60 resume2=3Dswap:/dev/hda2
>
> 2) Ensure you have the video modules as under inserted into the kernel.
> CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=3Dm
> CONFIG_FB_RADEON=3Dm
>
> That works for me on my R40 using Gentoo. The virtual terminal display ch=
anges
> to full screen on the video modules being loaded.

the thinkpad 600 doesn't have a radeon though.  the problem comes down
to several factors:

1. GPU lcd scaling, they GPU may be scaling the default vga mode up to
the full lcd size.  this is usually configured in the bios for default
scaling in vga mode.

2.  One of the kernels may use a VESA fbdev driver, in which case you
will get a nice full res console.

3. once of the kernels may have a chip specifc fbdev driver.