[ltp] NumLock going crazy, extermly annoying problem

Mon, 17 Oct 2005 23:42:30 +0300

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd

On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 12:22:30PM +1000, Helen Borrie wrote:
> >Yoni Levy wrote:
> >>Problem solved !
> >>It was in fact an application called tleds.
> >>Two question remain - how did it get to my /etc/init.d, and why does it=
=20
> >>affect the keyboard output ..
> >>I'll ask the authors of tleds, hope to get an answer...
> >
> >The first is probably a result of the packaging of the application. Afte=
r=20
> >all, if you *did* want to have tleds installed, you'd (probably) want it=
=20
> >to be a system service. It's only a bug if it got installed
> >by default rather than by you selecting it.
> >
> >The second is definitely a bug!

I think it is a hardware "feature".  When the software enables the
NumLock LED, the keyboard happily assumes you want NumLock on and

  7 8 9 0
  u i o p
  j k l ;
  m   . /

keys start sending the keycodes of the numeric keypad.

> I wonder whether it is related to a Thinkpad-specific anomaly... when I=
=20
> plug an external keyboard into my T390E, I get all of the functionality o=
f=20
> the (standard 105-key) keyboard AND the TP's keyboard still works *except=
=20
> for* the NumLock/ScrollLock key.  From reading the docs, this appears to =
be=20
> "by design".  I don't know why it should be.

It is probably so that you will be able to type _and_ use the numpad on
the external keyboard.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
As far as we know, our computer has never had an undetected error.
                -- Weisert

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd--