[ltp] Getting T30. 3 questions

Jan Girlich linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:52:26 +0200

geoff wrote:
>  gets recognised before I install Gentoo. Do you have any thoughts on the
>  Gentoo installer "Kororaa"?

Well, this might be a bit OT, but I don't like this idea which I didn't
know until now.

It's a binary stage3-install.

So all the main-advantages of gentoo are lost.

You don't get chipset-optimization for your Laptop which might result in
a pretty big _subjective_ performance-loss.

It's installing a range of preselected packages which loads a lot of
stuff on your system you won't use ever.

It installs KDE, which might be a bad choice if you want an smaller
desktop. Actually there is just a minor difference in power-consumption
between KDE and a lightweight-desktop, but KDE might be slow and
sluggish on older models.

USE-Variables are already set, so you are installing support for a lot
of things you probably won't need, thus resulting in larger binarys
consuming more space in your RAM, using more swap, reducing battery-life
because of disk-writes and -reads. I'm not sure about this, but that's
what I think because of what I learned.

I don't know where you are from: Australia? English-speaking community?
Than it's no problem for you that all the packages are installed with
localization for US-, AU- and GB-english. This might be very annoying if
you'd like to have another locale.

On the other hand it's a quick and easy installation. If you have a
CD-ROM and don't need any advantages which gentoo offers. But then you
might also want to try Fedora, Debian or any other binary-distribution
with preinstalled selected packets etc. They might have a much better
installer and better built-in-support for laptops.

Bye
Jan