[ltp] Seeking advice: T42p vs T43p

Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:59:00 -0400

> I've got a T43. T43p as far as I know merely have better graphic card
> and slightly faster chips. SATA layer is probably the same. I got
> suspend to ram working with kernel patching, see this page
> http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problems_with_SATA_and_Linux
> for the patches needed. After patches suspend to ram fully works. As to
> performance, I get hdparm -t to be around 37 MB per second. What's the
> hdparm for T42? I did make sure I get the 72000rpm drive.

ok!

So does anybody has an idea of whether the SATA layer from the t43
provides any advantage over the t42?

Or maybe somebody know whether the issues with the SATA layer and
suspend in linux are about to be solved?

> I haven't used vga out for presentation but this page might help you:
> http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/ATI_Mobility_Radeon_X300
> it says you need to use the vesa driver from xorg to get vga out. If
> I'm not mistaken vesa is a generic driver and you don't want it for
> everyday work. For performance reason you probably would want to use
> radeon driver. So in that sense you probably do need to restart x for
> that.
> That being said I strong suspect this is true for any ati driver, T42
> or T43. So in that sense it doesn't matter.

the t42p/t43p have a different card, but I think you're right. It'll
require two X config files.

Thanks for your help.

Carlos