[ltp] battery update

David Smith linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 4 Sep 2005 22:57:39 -0500 (CDT)

So after further investigation it appears my T22 doesnt charge the
batteries properly. Neither the new battery from titannotebook nor the ibm
battery that came with it charged right, they both seemed to loose
capacity at every cycle.

I just ran the IBM battery through three cycles with my maha universal
charger, which discharges slowly and charges Li-Ion slowly, it took about
10 hours to fully charge the battery.  The IBM battery was down to 22 Wh,
and had ~180 cycles on it. I remember when I first received the the
laptop, maybe 15 cycles before, the ibm battery had closer to 35 Wh.
Result: The IBM Battery is now at 38.13Wh with a design capacity of 43.20.

So it appears something is wrong with the charging circuit on the laptop,
not sure if its the power supply or not.  I went through the hardware
diagnostic document supplied by IBM and the only test I havent done is the
voltage output on the power supply.  I have a feeling maybe its weak and
not supplying 72 watts which a voltage test on the power supply will not
indicate.

The other tests in regards to the laptop all indicate stuff like the
charge light doesnt come on, basically that the charge circuit doesnt work
at all, and that the system board should be replaced if thats the case.

Anyway I got a two battery charger on ebay for about $20 shipped so once I
Get my hands on that, I'll see how well it charges. IMHO if it doesnt
charge right, its very likely a power supply problem. If it does charge
right, I'll need a new system board (If I care, since I'll have a charger
;)

-- dave