InputDevices (was: Re: [ltp] performance with X.org - radeon 7500 T41)

Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:43:07 +0300

--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 07:57:02AM +0200, Wolfgang Karall wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 00:31 +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > /dev/psaux for the synaptics touchpad, and /dev/input/mice for the rest.
> > Works fine (hotplugging USB mice, whatever):
> >=20
> >   Section "InputDevice"
> >           Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
> >           Driver          "mouse"
> >           Option          "CorePointer"
> >           Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
> >           Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
> >           Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
> >           Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
> >   EndSection
>=20
> Yes, but then Emulate3Buttons is set for the external mouse as well, or
> EmulateWheel in my case (which I use to get scrolling for the
> trackpoint).

As far as I understand, this particular section is only used for
external USB mice only.

Settings for the touchpad and trackpoint (they are both multiplexed via
/dev/psaux) are set in the other section (the one you didn't quote).

So if you set EmulateWheel only in the /dev/psaux section, but not in
the /dev/input/mice section, it should work the way you want.

I hope.

  Aside: how does the X server detect that button presses that arrive
  both via /dev/psaux and /dev/input/mice are actually two different
  notifications about the same hardware event?  I tried looking at
  cat /dev/input/mice and /dev/psaux, and I see events in both when I
  use my trackpoint.  However the X server doesn't register any spurious
  double-clicks or anything when I use the configuration I posted
  (one device for /dev/psaux, one device for /dev/input/mice).

By the way, if anyone figures a way to disable the mouse buttons below
the touchpad, but leave the touchpad itself active (as well as the mouse
buttons above the touchpad), I'd be grateful for the information how to
do it.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
America and England are two countries separated by a common language.

--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA

--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA--