[ltp] Z Series

Josh Battles linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:51:58 -0500 (CDT)

Honey said:

> "If it's not black it's going back"? :)

indeed!  black ftw.

> I must say, *I* like black too, but the titanium may look nice,
> depending on the quality of finish.  I specifically like the T*
> series tops (the lovely matt effect, one distinguishing feature from
> the R* series I think), and it would be a shame if that disappeared.

I'm sure it'll look nice and as long as it's tasteful I'm ok with that.  If
they start putting huge badges on the covers or making them in purple or
green then we'll have issues, but titanium is fine by me if it's my only
choice.

> I like to maintain the idea the "thinkpads are made better", and they
> certainly don't squeak when I poke them like other cases do, but is
> my experience so unusual?  I don't even carry my laptop around: it
> lives at home.

I carry my T42 all over god's green earth - without a case most of the time.
If I were to put it on the table next to a new one you wouldn't be able to
tell the difference besides the lid looking a little shinier than it was when
I got it and some fingerprints on the screen.  There's not a scratch on it.

> I hate to sow seeds of discontent as I love my thinkpad: but do
> others find the casing to not be quite as perfect as claimed?  And do
> others have the problem of IBM service constantly claiming it's your
> fault?  I don't drop laptops.

As I said before there's not a scratch on my T42 and I carry it everywhere.
It's been dropped, stepped on, sat on, splashed with water, and it even lived
in my car on a few 100+ degree days without issue.  I've abused the hell out
of it for the year that I've had it and it's by far outperformed the Dell
that my mom got around the same time.  She's had her dell in for service
because of broken parts twice now and it just sits on a desk or table at home
while mine gets lugged all over.

YMMV I guess?

--
- Josh