[ltp] Re: few questions to begin with an x40

come se fosse antani linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 25 Sep 2005 16:56:28 +0000

On 9/25/05, David Tansey <djtansey@gmail.com> wrote:
> Antani,
>
> I have the x40 with the radeon graphics. I have had it for a little over
> a year. I haven't been following this thread -- but I suspect I could
> help you.

well! thank you! :D

>What distribution are you using, and are you big on compiling
> your own kernel, or does your distribution just not support everything
> out of the box?

normally I compile my own kernel. in this case I was in Japan when I
bought the z50 and I haved no time to dedicate to my new laptop: I
used a config found on an inet page about linux and x40, compiled with
apm and without acpi.
during the return flight, I recompile this kernel, activating acpi and
ibm-acpi support.
I use debian sid; with this kernel it don't works like with apm. with
apm I've only to press fn+f4 (or close the lid) and the system suspend
itself on ram, without configuring anything.
>From the previous answers of this thread I know, now, that I've to
configure acpi in order to give commands related on some events (i.e.
closing the lid > susp on ram). in the next days I'll try to read some
documentations and give other tries to acpi.

> I use ubuntu and have been very pleased. ibm-acpi is included by
> default.

perhaps also in the debian kernel ibm-acpi is included (like the
toshiba support) but really I don't know beacuse I used only from me
recompiled kernels.
I need a patch (in order to use kismet with my old orinoco card) and
didn't recompile from the debian kernel sources.

> I'd say stick with the ibm-acpi code that's in the kernel. I don't think
> there's been any revolutionary developments in the ibm-acpi code, so
> it's not worth the extra time.

ok
> And it's interesting you seem to imply you're using the official kernel
> tree. Many people like to use their distributions kernel sources because
> they tend to include a good deal of patches.

as written before, I use a recompiled kernel.

thanks
antani