[ltp] R51 LCD or Motherboard Hardware issue

Luis Arauz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 9 Apr 2006 12:55:27 -0500

------=_Part_5608_23718514.1144605327467

Hi Bert

Yeah that was what started the problem I was grabbing the laptop
with one hand.

ill look into getting a new motherboard or maybe just getting a new laptop
thanks for letting me know.

luis

On 4/8/06, Bert Haskins <bhaskins@chartermi.net> wrote:

> Luis Arauz wrote:
>

> > Hi All,
> >
> >   Ive got a Thinkpad R51. The problem is, if i push down on the left
> > side of the palm rest, while on
> > a soft
> > surface (ie lap, some uneven table) or picking it up and twisting a bit
> (left side down and
> >
> > right side up) the screen goes black and all harddrive activity stops.
> > I have to twist it back in the
> > opposite direction for it to come back. Sometimes though it will mess
> > up the screen and
> > lock the system.
> >
> > I took apart the laptop and looked at the lcd connector and pushed it
> > in secure and
> > tightened all the screws that were loose on the board .  it stopped
> > for a while but now it
> > is back.
> >
> > im considering taking apart the whole system and rebuilding it from
> > the ground up and making sure
> > everything is secure ( I have all the service manuals), but i wanted
> > to know if anyone had any ideas
> > as to what it might be, how to resolve it, or any other useful tips to
> > resolve this problem.
> >
> > thanks in advance
> > Luis
>
> Sorry if (if?) this is bad news, but I have replaced motherboards on
> several A series which were doing the same thing.
> The new MBs completely solved the problem.
>
> Point to ponder:
> "Thin is in" should not apply to laptops.
> As the base unit gets thiner it is less able to resist the twisting of
> the case and sooner or later
> internal connections on the motherboard will break
> I make it a habit to never pick up a laptop with one hand and even then
> I grab it close to the
> back near the hinges or in the middle ( on both sides ) if the battery
> is in place.
> The less flexing the better.
>
> --

------=_Part_5608_23718514.1144605327467

r maybe just getting a new laptop<br>thanks for letting me know. &nbsp;<br>=
endername">Bert Haskins</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bhaskins@chartermi.net">b=
haskins@chartermi.net</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote=
" style=3D"margin-top: 0; margin-right: 0; margin-bottom: 0; margin-left: 0=
; margin-left: 0.80ex; border-left-color: #cccccc; border-left-width: 1px; =
border-left-style: solid; padding-left: 1ex">
t;&nbsp;&nbsp; Ive got a Thinkpad R51. The problem is, if i push down on th=
ce (ie lap, some uneven table) or picking it up and twisting a bit (left si=
de down and
ivity stops.<br>&gt; I have to twist it back in the<br>&gt; opposite direct=
ion for it to come back. Sometimes though it will mess<br>&gt; up the scree=
n and
d at the lcd connector and pushed it<br>&gt; in secure and<br>&gt; tightene=
d all the screws that were loose on the board .&nbsp;&nbsp;it stopped<br>&g=
t; for a while but now it
tem and rebuilding it from<br>&gt; the ground up and making sure<br>&gt; ev=
erything is secure ( I have all the service manuals), but i wanted<br>&gt; =
to know if anyone had any ideas
; Luis<br><br>Sorry if (if?) this is bad news, but I have replaced motherbo=
ards on
should not apply to laptops.<br>As the base unit gets thiner it is less abl=
e to resist the twisting of
 will break<br>I make it a habit to never pick up a laptop with one hand an=
d even then<br>I grab it close to the<br>back near the hinges or in the mid=
dle ( on both sides ) if the battery