[ltp] EC Hanging with latest tp-smapi (0.29)

Shem Multinymous linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 21 Aug 2006 05:59:10 +0300

Hi Sukant,

Thanks for the report, this is an important issue.

On 8/21/06, TNKS <0osz0s302@sneakemail.com> wrote:
> I seem to get the hung EC both with and without the dmi kernel patch that
> 0.29 comes with.  However, it seems to be a lot worse (happens sooner)
> without the dmi patch.

Coincidence. The DMI patch is used just for deciding whether to load
the module on your hardware.

> By the way, I was last on
> version 0.27, which seemed to work fine for me.  I didn't try 0.28 yet.

This is very strange. No change between 0.27 and 0.29 should have
affected this. Can you test again on 0.27?

Is the hdaps module loaded? If so, does the hang happen also when the
hdaps module is unloaded?

Does it happen in single-user mode?

Also, can you identify a specific sysfs attribute which triggers this?

BTW, if the hang occurs you can still control the laptop and safely
reboot it using a USB keyboard. Also, a suspend-to-disk cycle resets
the hang.

  Shem