[ltp] R51 dualhead with radeon 7500

Nikolas Tautenhahn linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:52:07 +0200

Hi there,

I have severe problems in getting dualhead to work on my R51 (Radeon
7500) with Opensuse 10.1
What I want is a bigger desktop in 1024x768 - 1280x1024 or 1024x768 -
1024x768; external monitor is an eizo f370 with ddc.
I tried several things I found through searches, some on this mailing
list, others from thinkwiki and I ended up with two different
xorg.conf-files.
The first one was my original, single-screen-xorg.conf which I manually
adjusted according to man pages, mailing lists etc.
The other one was created from Sax2 from the scratch, i.e. with new
hardware recognition and so on and I configured dualhead/Xinerama in Sax2.
Unfortunately both conf-files have the same result: I have a bigger
desktop (2048x768) but both, the internal tft and the crt show the same
(left) half of it.
I suspect that there is a small glitch in my configuration or something
small, "simple" I was not aware of...

configuration 1 gives me a

(EE) Unable to find a valid framebuffer device
(EE) RADEON(0): Failed to open framebuffer device, consult warnings
and/or errors above for possible reasons
   (you may have to look at the server log to see warnings)

A text file with both xorg.conf s and the logs are at
http://home.arcor.de/tantris/xorg.posting

Many thanks for all hints...

Regards,
Nikolas Tautenhahn