[ltp] Re: Lenovo/Thinkpad 90W power supply temperature

Anthony J Moulen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 3 Dec 2006 22:36:25 -0500

On Friday 01 December 2006 22:47, jeff wrote:
> On Friday 01 December 2006 18:58, Hamish wrote:
> > However my 90W 20V power supply that came with the z60m and z61m seems to
> > run very very hot... When running the z61m normally, and sitting on the
> > floor (Carpeted) after about 6 hours it's almost too hot to hold...
>
> I have had my Z60m plugged in all day and the power supply is only slightly
> warmer than ambient right now. Under a high load (battery almost fully
> discharged and watching a dvd) it will get quite warm, but not to the point
> of being uncomfortable to hold.
>
> I know that the Z61 has a different CPU and a few minor differences, but I
> wouldn't think that it would be enough to draw that much more power. There
> is something wrong if it is getting that hot.

I have to agree with this, I have a Z61M and I just picked mine up after being
on for the last 3 weeks straight and it isn't much warm than the air around
it.  I have never known one to be very warm really unless, as mentioned, it
is under very heavy load.  Definitely call support and see about getting it
replaced.