[ltp] T43: No DMA for /dev/hdc (Ultrabay Slim HDD)

Daniel Skorka linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 8 Dec 2006 23:17:23 +0100

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 07:38:20PM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> You need libata.  Linux will be talking to an ICH that talks to the Ultrabay
> over a *SATA* channel, no matter what is in the bay.
>
> DMA in that *hardware* config requires libata.  ATAPI with DMA support needs
> libata with ATAPI support enabled.  Bay hotplug with DMA support needs
> 2.6.18 or 2.6.19 libata with ATAPI support enabled.
>
> This should be clear as day in ThinkWiki. If it is not, we need to do some
> editing.

It was partially clear to me. I knew that there was a SATA-PATA bridge
for the system drive. I wasn't sure whether this extended to all IDE
devices. I also thought that using a PATA disk on this bridge required
a special firmware inside the disk.

Daniel