[ltp] T43: No DMA for /dev/hdc (Ultrabay Slim HDD)

Fri, 8 Dec 2006 20:31:40 -0200

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006, Daniel Skorka wrote:
> It was partially clear to me. I knew that there was a SATA-PATA bridge
> for the system drive. I wasn't sure whether this extended to all IDE

On the T43 and R52.  The *60 advanced ultrabay is probably 100% SATA.  I
would actually like to know for sure about this.  Anyone with a *60 can
comment on it?  Can you plug a PATA device to the T60/X60/Z60/Z61 advanced
ultrabay?  Does it require a device caddy with microchips on it (which?) ?

> devices. I also thought that using a PATA disk on this bridge required
> a special firmware inside the disk.

HDAPS require special firmware on many disks, PATA or SATA.  It is also
heavly suspected that the SATA-PATA bridge causes trouble for non-ATAPI DMA
transfers and also need some sort of disk firmware fixup, but this is not
100% certain.

That said, I am reconsidering what I wrote. I am 100% sure the channel to
the *internal* HD bay is SATA, and that one does have a SATA-PATA bridge.
But thinking a bit more about it, I got some doubts whether the secondary
channel to the bay is SATA or PATA (you *still* need libata to talk to it
with DMA anyway, because of the Linux ICH support).

  Henrique Holschuh