[ltp] Re: Fwd: Working 3D acceleration on IBM ThinkPad T23 ;-)

Thu, 5 Jan 2006 09:12:23 -0500

On 1/5/06, Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de> wrote:
> Am Dienstag 03 Januar 2006 05:24 schrieb Nate Bargmann:
>
> > > The xlibmesa-dri package in Sid provides the necessary radeon_dri.so
> > > file and places it in the right place.  It supports several other
> > > cards, but not the savage (yet), unfortunately.
> >
> > Let me add that as of today, Jan 2, 2006, that installing the
> > libgl1-mesa-dri package will remove the xlibmesa-gl package, but won't
> > break Xorg like a couple of days ago.  The savage_dri.so file is
> > provided by libgl1-mesa-dri and performance is unchanged from the
> > manual installation method on my T23.
> >
> > Painless 3D on the T23!
>
> Hello,
>
> does anyone know the reason for those different DRI driver packages and
> the reason, why savage is not included in xlibmesa-dri?

Until xorg 6.9/7.0 the savage driver was not dri enabled.  Also prior
to xorg 7.0, mesa was included as port of the xorg ball of packages.=20
with the new modular Xorg, mesa is supplied directly by the upstream
source.  The change in packages must be your distro's way of handing
that I suspect.

Alex