[ltp] Gentoo on thinkpad?

Tue, 17 Jan 2006 02:44:24 +0000

Dear All,

Thank you very much for your advice. I'm very grateful for it, and I
thought I'd follow up this thread. Basically, I've decided that

a)Yes, I do want to learn about Gentoo. I'm going to buy a new Desktop
machine (AMD64) soon - and will put Gentoo there. I suspect it will be
much more pleasant as a learning environment!

b)My thinkpad is not my primary machine, so I shall leave it with
Mandriva 2006, now that this is *almost* working. The howto I wrote at
richardneill.org for Mandrake 9.1 will be updated shortly (I've written
most of it now) with all the fixes. (*)  I think that a detailed
Mandriva Howto will be more useful to the community than a struggling
Gentoo newbie.

Best wishes,

Richard

(*)I think I should call it Frankenlinux! There are about 4 separate
sources of packages, each nominally incompatible in order to make
everything work properly. Furthermore, I've had to write wrapper scripts
around several programs (xscreensaver, suspend-to-ram, kppp, drkonqui)
in order to fix bugs.