[ltp] but i810 can't use DynamicClocks

Václav Šte(pán linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 22:41:56 +0100

Dan Jacobson napsal(a):
> If only I could get the graphics chip cooler, I wouldn't have to
> listen to the fan.  But i810 can't use DynamicClocks, now what?
> Besides, even without doing /etc/init.d/xdm start, the fan is on half
> the time. So what can be done on an 80x25 line console to lower the
> graphics chip temperature?  Any cases where X can use less power than
> non X during normal use?

I have never noticed two fans running - are you sure it's a GPU fan and
not the main one?
Anyway - in my case the fan is off most of the time if I let the air
vents on the bottom and left
free and stick to the 600 MHz CPU frequency. So maybe something is wrong
with your computer?
If it's the main fan - isn't there some CPU intensive process running in
the background?
> http://www.mk-stuff.de/artikel-linux_on_an_ibm_thinkpad_r50e.php#freq
> finds "no savings while decreasing the CPU frequency. Reason enough for
> me to deactivate all CPU-Frequencing options in the Kernel". Therefore
> no need to bother with the CPU.
That has a different meaning in the original context - he finds out that
decreasing frequency:
 - leads to about 1/4 decrease in power requirements while increasing
time up to 8x
 - has no effect when there is no load

   To the first point - sure, when you lower the CPU frequency, you get
lower power
consumption and lower performance.
   To the second - that should be true, because when there is no load
and you run some
intelligent OS, the CPU is halted when idle. However, you may disable
this for both
PCI and CPU using the ps2.exe configuration utility or using the
settings in Windows.
   The values below show a small difference, but that may be because
they were
obtained in Windows and there might have been something causing CPU load
in background
(well - like Windows I mean).

Alternative values:
Using the ACPI provided information on my R50e I get the following
values under Windows
(the same is available through ACPI under Linux) They seem maybe even
too-low and there
is the difference, that here the system runs on battery - his
measurements are on AC:

10.86 W at 600 MHz fixed, fan off, no load
12.60 W at 600 MHz fixed, fan off, full load
16.65 W at 1.7 GHz fixed, no load
23.32 W at 1.7 GHz fixed, full load

(the load included no disk activity, Level 0 LCD intensity, no CD intensity)

The point in using the kernel adaptive frequency code is that your CPU
runs can run on full speed
when you need it and relax on the low speed when you something like
typing a letter.
So as a result you get a more quiet computer (less heat, no fan) and
better battery performance.

Best wishes

Vaclav Stepan