[ltp] Fan control under ubuntu

João Miguel Pais linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 03 Jul 2006 10:51:13 +0200

> What's the room temperature? What's the CPU temperature? What's the CPU
> freq?
>
> I have an R51 and in winter the fan stops without problems when the CPU
> (or whatever) temp drops below ~37°C. Now it's summer and I have no air
> conditioning, the room temperature is well above 25°C (almost 30°C) now
> I don't see the CPU below 40°C, that means the fan never stops
> (fortunately).

my "reference" is windows Xp, because that's the system I use the most
until now: I live in a cool basement, so it's always cool. although for a
few months I was in Lisbon in the holidays, where it is quite warm, and
the the computer just started "fanning up" each summer, even if I was in
the basement (which didn't do before).
But with linux the fan just starts working after a couple of minutes and
doesn't stop at all, unlike windows. also when the temperature doesn't
justify it.

I'm not totally new to linuxes, but I still have a lot to learn. can you
recomend a program to control/view these (and maybe other?) aspects of the
hardware?