[ltp] Ubuntu Dapper on a22p - 1 data pt.

Tue, 06 Jun 2006 13:41:22 +0100

Harry Mangalam wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I previously posted my experiences with Breezy, mostly to the positive.  I
> recently upgraded 2 systems to Dapper and with one glaring exception, the old
> Thinkpad a22p works well with it.
>
> The exception is that of power management using the stock kernel.
> Hibernation, suspend, shutdown - nothing worked the way it's supposed to.
> The cure was to recompile a kernel with all the ACPI turned OFF and use the
> APM power management.  APM is compiled into the new kernels, but ACPI gets
> activated 1st and I found no way to turn it off.  Using APM, suspend works
> better than ever (even network comes back on after a long suspend), but
> suspending still kills sound (the sound daemon error indicates some kind of
> race condition and suicides) and I haven't been bothered enough to try to fix
> it yet.
>
> Others have found ACPI works well with more recent machines, but I guess the
> a22 is too old to make use of it.

That's odd: my A22p works fairly well with ACPI. I never hibernate, but
suspend to ram is as reliable as it was under APM (crashes one time in
20 or so). Are you doing chvt 1 before you suspend?

The sound modules will only suspend if nothing is using them! Otherwise,
you have to restart the sound service.

You needn't have recompiled though: just add the parameter acpi=off to
your lilo.conf

Regards,

Richard