[ltp] Recovering sound after Xorg 7 & Kernel 2.6?

Florian Reitmeir linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 8 Jun 2006 14:52:20 +0200

Hi,

On Don, 08 Jun 2006, mmalten@comcast.net wrote:

> After upgrading my Debian testing R32 to Xorg 7, I had some headaches that
> I attempted to resolve via upgrading the kernel to 2.6.15 from 2.4.27.
>
> It's not quite back up to speed, but what I need at this stage is to get
> the sound back.
>
> I've tried recompiling alsa using module-assistant, alsaconf, alsamixer,
> etc.  Progress has been that the KDE startup no longer complains "can't
> find sound server"  I still _hear_ nothing.
>
> Any advice on how to reclaim sound?

try sound without logging to KDE, KDE has the annoying feature to "save" own
mixersettings.

log to the console, use alsamixer and test sound with mpg321, a common
problem on laptops is the "headphone jack sense" play around with is a bit.
then store the alsamixer settings with "alsactl store"

--
Florian Reitmeir