[ltp] Re: Linux-Thinkpad digest, Vol 1 #1303 - 15 msgs

Paul RIVIER linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 24 Jun 2006 12:59:03 +0200

>Sweet! Indeed, that did the trick! thank you.
>
>BTW, is anybody out there using a TP42 on battary with less than 13W
>power consumption?
>
>I like to use less power.
>
>Thanks for comments.
>
>Stephan

Hello,

I own a T42 and can go slightly under 13W (actualy under 10W in emacs
without X, 10.5W with X doing nothing)
AFAIR, here is the list :

- Undervolting CPU to very-low limit (no pb so far)
- DynCLock / RovClock on the GPU
- sync HDD less often, use agressive caching, noatime
- throtle wireless, see man iwconfig  /power
- push back fan start point
... and maybe a few other things I miss, I did that almost a year ago.

But the 2 first points are fundamental, as they do not alter comfort,
while reducing *a lot* power consumption, therefore heat generation,
which is unpleasant.

Regards

paul