[ltp] Thinkpad T21 Accelerated video problem

harry wert linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 07 Mar 2006 20:17:27 -0500

--=-SaQtZ5qgn4UuGjyy79mm

Hello, I have a Thinkpad T21 running Ubuntu Dapper Drake. Everything is
working extremely well except I cannot find a repeatable combination of
video driver settings which will survive a reboot or cold start.  When
working, performance is an acceptable increase from 70fps to 355fps.
The internal video card is a Savage /IX-MV, with a chip ID of 8c12 which
contains 8192kb of video memory. The accelerated video will not run in
the 24 depth mode because it needs more than 8092kb of memory.  I am
able to coax it tho run in the 16 depth mode with a lot of
experimentation but all is lost on reboot or a cold start.  When it
fails to start I experience a hard freeze which will require a power off
shutdown to free up. On the next boot the screen appears to be
attempting to find a workable video mode but will ultimately lock into a
dark screen and a hard freeze. It is then necessary to boot up in the
recovery mode and change the video depth from 16 back to 24 to restore
normal (no video acceleration) video operation.  I have been searching
with Google and reading whatever I can locate on this subject but seem
to have struck out!

The only video tool I can find to use is xvidtune which is not easy to
use.  Two questions:

1. Are there better tools out there for video tuning and adjustment such
as SAX on SuSE?

2. Does anyone have a working xorg with acceleration on a T21 and
Ubuntu?

This is not a crisis - just a curiosity as I don't usually run many
programs which require video acceleration.

Thanks in advance for any comments and/or guidance in this matter.

Harry Wert
Physicist

--=-SaQtZ5qgn4UuGjyy79mm

<HTML>
<HEAD>
  <META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; CHARSET=3DUTF-8">
  <META NAME=3D"GENERATOR" CONTENT=3D"GtkHTML/3.9.92">
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Hello, I have a Thinkpad T21 running Ubuntu Dapper Drake. Everything is wor=
king extremely well except I cannot find a repeatable combination of video =
driver settings which will survive a reboot or cold start.&nbsp; When worki=
ng, performance is an acceptable increase from 70fps to 355fps.&nbsp; The i=
nternal video card is a Savage /IX-MV, with a chip ID of 8c12 which contain=
s 8192kb of video memory. The accelerated video will not run in the 24 dept=
h mode because it needs more than 8092kb of memory.&nbsp; I am able to coax=
 it tho run in the 16 depth mode with a lot of experimentation but all is l=
ost on reboot or a cold start.&nbsp; When it fails to start I experience a =
hard freeze which will require a power off shutdown to free up. On the next=
 boot the screen appears to be attempting to find a workable video mode but=
 will ultimately lock into a dark screen and a hard freeze. It is then nece=
ssary to boot up in the recovery mode and change the video depth from 16 ba=
ck to 24 to restore normal (no video acceleration) video operation.&nbsp; I=
 have been searching with Google and reading whatever I can locate on this =
subject but seem to have struck out!<BR>
<BR>
The only video tool I can find to use is xvidtune which is not easy to use.=
&nbsp; Two questions:<BR>
<BR>
1. Are there better tools out there for video tuning and adjustment such as=
 SAX on SuSE?<BR>
<BR>
2. Does anyone have a working xorg with acceleration on a T21 and Ubuntu?<B=

<BR>
This is not a crisis - just a curiosity as I don't usually run many program=
s which require video acceleration.<BR>
<BR>
Thanks in advance for any comments and/or guidance in this matter.<BR>
<BR>
Harry Wert<BR>
Physicist<BR>
<BR>