[ltp] Hibernate?

Marc P. linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 22:21:53 -0800

Norman Walsh wrote:

>I'm running Ubuntu "Dapper" on my T42p. I switched to ACPI ages ago
>and suspend-to-RAM (Fn+F4) "just works". Several kernels ago, before I
>even switched to Ubuntu, I think, I patched and built a
>softwaresuspend2 kernel that could hibernate. But I'm trying to live
>in a world where I don't build my own custom kernel all the time.
>(Only for convenience, no real reason.)
>
>Hibernate (Fn+F12) hasn't worked since I last built the kernel myself.
>It doesn't really matter, but it's handy when I'm on a plane and I
>want to switch batteries without losing all my context.
>
>A couple of weeks ago I happened to notice that there was a
>/etc/acpi/hibernate.sh script ... so I ran it.
>
>Low and behold, the machine hibernated. Better still, it came back
>From hibernation :-)
>
>Sweet. So I used it again a few days later and it got part way through
>resuming and just came to a stop.
>
>I've run it a few more times since then and it fails to resume a
>little more often than it resumes successfully, I think.
>
>Ignoring the fact that the key binding doesn't work, should I expect
>hiberanation to work reliably on my T42p? If so, why doesn't it? :-)
>
>                                        Be seeing you,
>                                          norm

You probably are using swsusp1 as in one, 1.. which I just got working
on my T23 and how awesome it is. it's not as flexible as swsup2 but it's
IN the kernel already, and is fine for all intents and purposes..

you're probably missing the "resume=/dev/swappartition" among your
kernel boot parameters.. so when it resumes, it knows where it saved the
memory image.. replace "swappartition" with whatever your swap partition
is, and try that hibernate script again.

good luck
-m
=)