[ltp] madwifi wpa_supplicant prism2.5

Bert Haskins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 07 May 2006 14:12:06 -0400

--------------020001030101020302030609

Mike Kershaw wrote:

>On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 12:10:33PM -0400, Bert Haskins wrote:
>

>>Just acquired a A31p and am having no luck with getting the built in
>>mini pci prism 2.5 card to work with madwifi and wpa_supplicant.
>>FC4 and 5 recognizes the hardware and loads the orinoco drivers.
>>
>>This same combination works very well using a Atheros G card
>>in another (A31) box.
>>
>>Has anyone else been able to make this work?
>>

>It won't work with madwifi, period, because madwifi is for atheros
>cards, not prism2.

Sorry, big fat senior moment there, I was not using madwifi, I am trying
to use the hostap
that is part of wpa_supplicant.

>You shouldn't use orinoco, either, thats for orinoco/hermes cards, not
>prism2.

Fedora installed the orinoco drivers, could this be part of the problem?

>You need to install either wlan-ng or hostap.  If you want wpa_supp to
>work, you'll need hostap.  You will also need modern firmware for the
>prism2 card,

I did install the firmware from IBM.

> read the docs, I don't use them so I don't know where to
>get it offhand.
>
>-m

--------------020001030101020302030609

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Mike Kershaw wrote:<br>
  <pre wrap="">On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 12:10:33PM -0400, Bert Haskins wrote:
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Just acquired a A31p and am having no luck with getting the built in
mini pci prism 2.5 card to work with madwifi and wpa_supplicant.
FC4 and 5 recognizes the hardware and loads the orinoco drivers.

This same combination works very well using a Atheros G card
in another (A31) box.

Has anyone else been able to make this work?

    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
It won't work with madwifi, period, because madwifi is for atheros
cards, not prism2.</pre>
Sorry, big fat senior moment there, I was not using madwifi, I am
trying to use the hostap<br>
that is part of wpa_supplicant.<br>
  <pre wrap="">

You shouldn't use orinoco, either, thats for orinoco/hermes cards, not
prism2.</pre>
Fedora installed the orinoco drivers, could this be part of the problem?<br>
  <pre wrap="">

You need to install either wlan-ng or hostap.  If you want wpa_supp to
work, you'll need hostap.  You will also need modern firmware for the
prism2 card,</pre>
I did install the firmware from IBM.<br>
  <pre wrap=""> read the docs, I don't use them so I don't know where to
get it offhand.

-m

  </pre>

--------------020001030101020302030609--