[ltp] 240X questions.

cloakable linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 23 Nov 2006 22:53:18 +0000

--nextPart4960059.L8F37V1iXf

On Thursday 23 November 2006 10:23 pm, Sascha Heid wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-11-23 at 21:05 +0000, cloakable wrote:
> > > I've found a 240X on eBay, and I'm planning on buying it.
> > >
> > > However, I have a few questions.
> > >
> > > Thinkwiki says I should be able to fit a type IIb mini-pci wifi card =
in
> > > there. Has anyone done this? And how?
>
> I have put a minipci wlan card into my 240 (no X).
> There seem to be 2 different sizes, and in the 240 there is not enough
> room for the bigger ones that are deeper (same width and thickness). I
> have a prism2 (54MBit) card in my X21 that is bigger (deeper) and
> would not fit into the 240 where i have the smaller 11MBit intel wlan
> card built in.
Thanks for that :)

> > > What is the largest HDD you can fit?
>
> I use a 80GB drive and im pretty certain that with linux any size
> would work but i dont know about windows (oh wait you said ubuntu, so
> no worries).
> AFAIK linux does not care if the bios can handle the size, it does it
> right itself.

Xubuntu, but yeah, same tree, different branch. Thanks :)
> > I used a 40GB drive with no problems.
> >
> > > I'm planning on installing Xubuntu 6.06, though does anyone have any
> > > other recommendations?
>
> I would recommend a different Thinkpad Model, a X21-X24, you get a
> more useable resolution (1024x768) on a screen that is not as old and
> possibly dimm, a wider range of processor options (from 700MHz to
> 1.1GHz), more max. RAM (384MB-640MB), a bigger keyboard and still the
> whole package is very light and portable.
> Also, replacement keyboards and parts (like the hdd-cover) for the 240
> are rare on ebay.
I'm not too worried about the amount of ram - I've had a working setup on a=
=20
380XD - 100MB less, and a 266MHz cpu :) That did everything I wanted. This=
=20
one is more powerful, so I can probably have prettier apps with the same=20
functionality.