[ltp] Booting problem after install of Ubuntu Alternative 6.10 on X41 Tablet

Marcin Trybus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 26 Nov 2006 16:20:11 +0100

Joerg Bruehe wrote:
| (Yes, I know it is better to install Linux after the other, for that
| very reason, but still ...   just consider a re-install.)

I guess it does not matter anymore. You can "fix" Certain Other OS by
booting from the CD and then it usually works. On the other hand most
distros (but not Ubuntu) have a rescue mode offering an option to
restore grub in MBR (or otherwise) that is mercilessly destroyed by
this operation.

| If I have Grub in my Linux partition, then even a changed MBR does
| not destroy Grub, and all I need is to set the Linux partition back
| to "active".

If you have a bootloader in MBR it works whether Linux partition is
active or not. On my Thinkpad it is not, so that I can boot The
Preinstalled OS. The configuration of a bootloader is never lost after
installing any other OS. Of course only if you leave /boot intact,
which is pretty obvious if it's on your root partition. So you just
have to restore the bootloader with any rescue disk. On the other hand
configuring grub can be done in like 5 minutes. I have a backup
configuration files for things requiring tune-up (like grub,
Bluetooth, ppp settings) on my /home partition (which I never format)
in case I have to fix it or feel like reinstalling Linux.

| As regards the "alternative installer":
| I am still experimenting with (K)Ubuntu, but from reading an article
| in the most recent c't (German magazine) I got the impression that
| the alternative installer gives me more freedom in partitioning. I
| really want that !
| IMHO, the Ubuntu installer (I tried 5.04, as I have that on CD) is
| not as easy to use (especially for partitioning) as SuSE's Yast, but
| I will try Kubuntu 6.06 later today - maybe it improved.

My goodness! 5.04?!? That was 1.5 years ago, 3 versions behind current
(6.10)!

Let me put it this way (as a automotive engineer-to-be). You have just
found on offer for a brand new VW Golf II. (I presume you know the
current version is Golf V.) You think it has an underpowered engine
for your needs, so you decide to buy a Golf V Do-It-Yourself Kit.
Wouldn't it be wise to check the info on Golf V prior to making such a
decision? ;-)

The regular Ubuntu installer uses GParted, which is fine with me. I
cannot think of anything needed during installation that cannot be
done with it. Anyway *too many options == problems ^2*.
Well, actually I shun such programs during installation as always fear
loosing my precious 22GB /home by going "a click too far". Apart from
that it works fine.

If in doubt ask someone that installed 6.10 (or 6.06, which is
comparable). Haven't you read the notice on Alternative CD? It's for
experts and people with special needs. You don't have such needs. You
are just under the impression that you have them. ;-)

Try plain vanilla Ubuntu CD.

Regards,

Marcin Trybus (Llewelyn_MT)