[ltp] [patch 00/11] ibm-acpi: extended thermal and fan support

Wed, 11 Oct 2006 23:17:25 -0300

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> - At least some of the functions will sooner or later move into a more
>   genric handling inside the linux kernel. Examples are dock (mostly
>   done), bay (on the way) and brightness (just saw a patch on lkml).
>   I think your patches are a good solution for now. On long term some
>   thoughts about fan handling on different machines good be
>   interesting.

On medium term, all ibm-acpi procfs will be deprecated and sent to the
bitbuck where it belongs.  A new sysfs interface will be needed.  At that
time, anything that has a generic interface should be migrated to the
generic interface.

We also have the led interface (for the ThinkLight, and other thinkpad
leds).  We could also extend the entire thermal sensor code to generate
artificial thermal zones (if this won't make the rest of the ACPI subsystem
go berserk and won't violate the ACPI spec), etc.  There's a lot of work to
do.

> - As I heard so often, sysfs is the future. Just make clear on your
>   submit that you are willing to port to sysfs, if neccessary.

I am *itching* to trash-dump procfs and port ibm-acpi entirely to sysfs.
But Borislav would not appreciate the patch flood.  We need to wait until he
appoints a new maintainer, I think.

> - I know I told you before, Borislav will search a new mainainer in
>   short time. ;)

I know :p

  Henrique Holschuh