[ltp] Advice on X41 Tablet use with Linux

Stephan Groß linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 17 Oct 2006 18:03:58 +0200

On Tuesday 17 October 2006 15:57, Matt Graham wrote:

> Simon Williams wrote:
> > Tony K. wrote:
> > > From what I understand screen rotation is not available under
> > > Linux? I assume by "screen rotation" one means landscape vs.
> > > portrait (and not laptop vs. tablet?).
> >
> > You couldn't be more wrong. The XRandR extension allows screen
> > flipping, mirroring, resizing and rotating.
>
>  ...and if you rotate or flip the screen using xrandr, all hardware
> acceleration goes bye-bye.  Also, unless you have the line
>    Option "RandRRotation" "1"
>  ...in the Device section of your xorg.conf , rotation at runtime *will
> not work*.  This option is not in the man page for xorg.conf and is not
> mentioned in Xorg docs AFAICT.  So Simon's right, but he left out a
> couple of important details.

Sorry, but that's nonsense. I have a X41 Tablet running here with manual and
even automatic screen flipping using xrandr. Hardware acceleration is working
fine, too. There is no need of using the RandRRotation option. There is a
pretty good web page on Thinkwiki about using Linux with a X41 Tablet.
Actually, the only problem I am currently struggling with is how to use my
external external TFT connected to the docking station using clone mode with
higher resolutions than that of the internal screen (i.e. more than
1024x768).

Best regards,
Stephan.

Best regards,